Thursday, January 10, 2008

God Surprises Us!


When Rev. Forrest Wells called me at the end of last summer about a possible position at Cargill UMC I politely (I hope) said, “No thanks, I am a full-time student now and I want to dedicate myself to seminary.”  I told Forrest that if they needed some help with any project, finding a youth pastor, or with a retreat I would be glad to consult, however.  Forrest called me back about two weeks later asking me if I would be willing to lead a retreat and I agreed.  Like any good employer with an opening in his organization, Forrest kept the invitation of a job open...and I continued to turn him down.

It is truly marvelous how God works in our lives.  I had a plan, but after I spent a weekend with some truly amazing youth of Cargill UMC I found myself calling Forrest to see about a job.  The church in Janesville has welcomed me and already I find myself developing relationships with the people there, especially the youth.

It seems that in this time and in this place I am called to be in ministry.  I don’t yet know what that will look like or how I will accomplish it, but I leave that to God’s capable hands.  How is it that God is calling you into ministry?  What is God asking of you in this time and in your place?

No comments:

Post a Comment